October 12, 2008

Straight Talk About Islam: Muslims Fear Allah (swt)...

...not men, and certainly not Islamophobes.

Sheila Musaji at The American Muslim has responded to Bobby Spencer's "test" (sorry, I won't link to him) as to whether one is a "moderate" Muslim or not. While I respect Musaji's attempt to answer Spencer, this is not a test I'll ever take, insha'allah. Personally, I don't give a shit as to what Islamophobes think, whether I'm "moderate" enough for them or not. Their minds are already made up; I won't waste my time trying to persuade them otherwise. They're not worth the bother.

The problem with Islamophobes like Bobby Spencer and his ilk is that they think Muslims can be cowed from peer pressure; they don't understand that what mere men think about Islam or Muslims is largely irrelevant. Just because Islamic beliefs and attitudes don't fall lockstep with Western (or other) culture(s) doesn't mean that Islam and Muslims are in the wrong. Like the people at Hebrew National, we answer to a higher authority. Bobby Spencer hasn't grasped that yet. They think (hope, pray) that Muslims will fear them; instead, we fear only Allah (swt).

So from whencesoever Thou startest forth, turn Thy face in the direction of the sacred Mosque; and wheresoever ye are, Turn your face thither: that there be no ground of dispute against you among the people, except those of them that are bent on wickedness; so fear them not, but fear Me; and that I may complete My favors on you, and ye May (consent to) be guided; (2:150)

It was We who revealed the law (to Moses): therein was guidance and light. By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who bowed (as in Islam) to God's will, by the rabbis and the doctors of law: for to them was entrusted the protection of God's book, and they were witnesses thereto: therefore fear not men, but fear Me, and sell not my signs for a miserable price. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what God hath revealed, they are (no better than) Unbelievers. (5:47)

The fact of the matter is, people like Bobby have no authority whatsoever to try to sit in judgment of Muslims. I accept judgment only from Allah (swt) and other Muslims, the latter who may help me to improve myself to become a better Muslim.* If you're not a Muslim, it doesn't really matter whether you approve of our beliefs and attitudes. You should really be worrying about yourselves.

In fact, I say to you, Bobby, your time is running out. Only Allah (swt) may judge you, but His judgment is final. You need to submit to the will of Allah (swt) before it is too late.

He [Ibrahim (pbuh)] said: "And who despairs of the mercy of his Lord, but such as go astray?" (15:56)

HT: Islamophobia Watch

* Private note: And that includes you too, Aaminah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salaams. Here here! I'm totally with you on this. I wish more Muslims didn't feel ashamed to say it too...

Sule said...

Robert Spencer is a tool and not a scholar. For anyone to take his word on Islam only means they are a tool too.

Don't even give him the time of day.

http://islamoblog.blogspot.com