June 14, 2008

Watts Next?

Milady and I finally upgraded our cable TV service last weekend. There was a free sports channel that I wasn't able to receive on our old analog set-box (Eurosports; a European version of ESPN), and Milady wanted to be able to watch a few channels for both herself (FoxCrime and Crime & Investigation) and the baby eventually (e.g., Disney Playhouse). We also picked up a Hubstation, which is one of those TiVo-type digital recorders.

So, this past week I've been watching the Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré, which is a French bicycle race over eight days in the mountainous Dauphiné region of France (the southeast corner of the country, below Geneva, Switzerland). To fill the time before the next program (because the Critérium broadcasts are live), Eurosports plays a series of "Watts" videos. These are clips from various sporting events and sports-related commercials, often wacky in tone. I've never seen anything like these before, but they're pretty interesting and I've grabbed a random "Watts" video off of Youtube for your viewing pleasure.

In this video (call it, "The Perils of Being a Ref"), I especially got a kick out of the boxer who gave the referee a standing eight count and the soccer referee who caught the hurtling glass bottle while he was giving the player a yellow card. I hope to put up more of these "Watts" videos in the future.

No comments: