June 30, 2008

Lee Iacocca: Where Have All the Leaders Gone?

Amen! This is an excerpt from Lee Iacocca's book, Where Have All the Leaders Gone?

Am I the only guy in this country who's fed up with what's happening? Where the hell is our outrage? We should be screaming bloody murder. We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car. But instead of getting mad, everyone sits around and nods their heads when the politicians say, 'Stay the course.'

Stay the course? You've got to be kidding. This is America, not the Titanic. I'll give you a sound bite: Throw the bums out!

& someone has to speak up. I hardly recognize this country anymore. The President of the United States is given a free pass to ignore the Constitution, tap our phones, and lead us to war on a pack of lies. Congress responds to record deficits by passing a huge tax cut for the wealthy (thanks, but I don't need it). The most famous business leaders are not the innovators but the guys in handcuffs. While we're fiddling in Iraq, the Middle East is burning and nobody seems to know what to do. And the press is waving pom-poms instead of asking hard questions.

That's not the promise of America my parents and yours traveled across the ocean for. I've had enough. How about you?

I'll go a step further. You can't call yourself a patriot if you're not outraged. This is a fight I'm ready and willing to have.

I'm going to speak up because it's my patriotic duty & I'm hoping to strike a nerve in those young folks who say they don't vote because they don't trust politicians to represent their interests. Hey, America, wake up. These guys work for us.

Why are we in this mess? How did we end up with this crowd in Washington? Well, we voted for them — or at least some of us did. But I'll tell you what we didn't do. We didn't agree to suspend the Constitution. We didn't agree to stop asking questions or demanding answers. Some of us are sick and tired of people who call free speech treason. Where I come from that's a dictatorship, not a democracy.

And don't tell me it's all the fault of right-wing Republicans or liberal Democrats. That's an intellectually lazy argument, and it's part of the reason we're in this stew. We're not just a nation of factions. We're a people. We share common principles and ideals. And we rise and fall together.

There was a time in this country when the voices of great leaders lifted us up and made us want to do better. Where have all the leaders gone?

On September 11, 2001, we needed a strong leader more than any other time in our history. & That was George Bush's moment of truth, and he was paralyzed. And what did he do when he'd regained his composure? He led us down the road to Iraq — a road his own father had considered disastrous when he was President. But Bush didn't listen to Daddy. He listened to a higher father. He prides himself on being faith-based, not reality based. If that doesn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what will.

So here's where we stand. We're immersed in a bloody war with no plan for winning and no plan for leaving. We're running the biggest deficit in the history of the country. We're losing the manufacturing edge to Asia, while our once-great companies are getting slaughtered by health care costs. Gas prices are skyrocketing, and nobody in power has a coherent energy policy. Our schools are in trouble. Our borders are like sieves. The middle class is being squeezed every which way. These are times that cry out for leadership.

But when you look around, you've got to ask: 'Where have all the leaders gone?' Where are the curious, creative communicators? Where are the people of character, courage, conviction, competence, and common sense? I may be a sucker for alliteration, but I think you get the point.

Name me a leader who has a better idea for homeland security than making us take off our shoes in airports and throw away our shampoo? We've spent billions of dollars building a huge new bureaucracy, and all we know how to do is react to things that have already happened.

Name me one leader who emerged from the crisis of Hurricane Katrina & Name me an industry leader who is thinking creatively about how we can restore our competitive edge in manufacturing & Name me a government leader who can articulate a plan for paying down the debt, or solving the energy crisis, or managing the health care problem. The silence is deafening. But these are the crises that are eating away at our country and milking the middle class dry ...

Hey, I'm not trying to be the voice of gloom and doom here. I'm trying to light a fire. I'm speaking out because I have hope. I believe in America. In my lifetime I've had the privilege of living through some of America's greatest moments. I've also experienced some of our worst crises ... If I've learned one thing, it's this: You don't get anywhere by standing on the sidelines waiting for somebody else to take action. Whether it's building a better car or building a better future for our children, we all have a role to play. That's the challenge I'm raising in this book. It's a call to action for people who, like me, believe in America. It's not too late, but it's getting pretty close. So let's ... go to work. Let's tell 'em all we've had enough."

HT: Oroville Mercury-Register.com

5 comments:

alajnabiya said...

"But when you look around, you've got to ask: 'Where have all the leaders gone?' "

Lots of people wanted him to run for office, but he turned it down. My guess it that that's what all the other good leaders chose to do too, the ones with moral integrity that were not willing to play politics and kiss the devil's hand to get into office.

JDsg said...

I agree. There's a review for the book at Amazon that says in part, "The 'bad news' is that Iacocca once considered running for President, but was talked out of it by then House Speaker (and friend) Tip O'Neill. O'Neill told Iacocca that the job would drive him nuts - too hard to get anything done (basically the same comment President Truman offered then General Eisenhower). Iacocca was almost appointed Senator for the state of Pennsylvania after John Heinz died, but he turned that down as well. Some people are just like that. There's a car dealer in the Phoenix, Arizona area, Lou Grubb, who's very well known there, but he's had absolutely no interest in getting into politics, even though the Republican party has begged him to (prolly since the 80s or maybe even the 70s). He just wants to sell cars.

alajnabiya said...

The problem is that trustworthy people want to mind their own business, and untrustworthy people try to mind every one else's.

Naeem: said...

AA- JD,

Interesting excerpt, but recently I've begun to think that bad leadership is never the root cause of the society's problems. I forget if it's a hadith, but I remember the Islamic teaching that a people's leader will be a direct reflection of the people themselves.

When times are tough, people naturally look for the fall guy(s) - and the leadership is the ideal place to start.

But I strongly believe that in order to truly bring about change, people must fight that natural inclination (to point fingers outward) and start by rectifying themselves.

That is true of the Muslim Ummah as much as it is true of America.

"Our borders are like sieves."

What his beef with the borders? Is he one of those proponents for the border fence?

JDsg said...

...I've begun to think that bad leadership is never the root cause of the society's problems.

Bad leadership is usually not the root cause, but a bad leader can create new problems for a society in addition to the existing problems. Personally, I think George Bush is a very good example of that.


I forget if it's a hadith, but I remember the Islamic teaching that a people's leader will be a direct reflection of the people themselves.

"People get the government they deserve"? :) I've been thinking along those lines for a couple months now, thinking that there's a relationship between the leader/government of the country vs. the fractiousness/volatility of the society being governed. The more volatile the society, the more likely they are to find themselves under the rule of a strong man/dictator. (I'll have to give this some more thought.)


When times are tough, people naturally look for the fall guy(s) - and the leadership is the ideal place to start.

Of course. You see this in sports all the time.


But I strongly believe that in order to truly bring about change, people must fight that natural inclination (to point fingers outward) and start by rectifying themselves.

This is the difficult part; most people don't want to change, and usually only the threat of the "burning platform" will motivate them enough to make the change that's necessary.


What his beef with the borders? Is he one of those proponents for the border fence?

I doubt it. The fact of the matter is that the U.S. borders are a sieve. But fences aren't going to solve the problem like a lot on the American right would like to think. There are a number of other issues (but I don't have the time to get into it now, because it's time for jumu'ah :) ).