June 21, 2008

Questions Asked of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Apparently, the following appears in the foreward of Ghulam Sarwar's book, "Islam: Beliefs and Teachings." I'm not able to find out which collection this hadith comes from, although it appears on a number of Muslim blogs and Internet forums. According to a comment on one of the blogs I visited, the "traveler" was a Bedouin. (I've edited the hadith slightly; e.g., adding some definitions, correcting spellings, etc.)

A traveler once came to the mosque to see the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). After greeting him, the prophet asked where the traveler was from. The traveler replied that he came from very far just to get a few questions answered.

What follows is the dialog that took place between the traveler and the prophet:

Traveler: I do not want adhaab (punishments) to be written in my account.
Prophet: Behave well with your parents

Traveler: I want to be known amongst people as an intelligent person.
Prophet: Fear Allah (swt). Always.

Traveler: I want to be counted amongst Allah’s favorites.
Prophet: Recite the Qur'an every morning and evening.

Traveler: I want my heart to always be enlightened.
Prophet: Never forget death.

Traveler: I never want to be away from Allah’s blessing.
Prophet: Always treat fellow creatures well.

Traveler: I never want to be harmed by my enemies.
Prophet: Always have faith in only Allah.

Traveler: I never want to be humiliated.
Prophet: Be careful of your actions.

Traveler: I wish to live long.
Prophet: Always do sile rahm (goodness towards blood relations, neighbors, etc.).

Traveler: I want my sustenance to increase.
Prophet: Always be in state of wudu (ablution).

Traveler: I wish to stay free of adhaab (punishments) in the grave.
Prophet: Always wear pure and clean clothes.

Traveler: I never want to burn in hell.
Prophet: Control your eyes and tongue.

Traveler: How do I get my sins forgiven.
Prophet: Always ask forgiveness from Allah (swt) with a lot of humility.

Traveler: I want people to respect me always.
Prophet: Never extend your hands of need at people (only ask from Allah’s Treasures).

Traveler: I want to always be honored.
Prophet: Never humiliate or put down anyone.

Traveler: I don’t want to be squeezed by fishare qabr (squeezing in the grave).
Prophet: Recite Sura Mulk (chapter 67 of the Qur'an) often.

Traveler: I want my wealth to increase.
Prophet: Recite Sura Waqi’ah (chapter 56 of the Qur'an) every night.

Traveler: I want to be safe and at peace on day of Judgement.
Prophet: Do dhikr (the remembrance) of Allah (swt) from dusk to night.

Traveler: I want to be in full attention and concentration during namaaz (salat, prayer).
Prophet: Always do wudu with concentration and attention.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please i want to know the hadith reference.

LifeSaver said...

Assalam I really need to know the source or reference ,I did see this on a islamic channel so I dont ddefy it just want the source.
Please help me strengthen my faith.

JDsg said...

Salaam 'alaikum. I'm sorry to say, I don't know the reference to this particular hadith. One person I've talked to about the hadith has suggested that it may come from a Shi'i collection due to several Persian words that are used in the hadith. Whether this is true or not I cannot say. As I mentioned in the original post, I found the hadith in Ghulam Sarwar's book, "Islam: Beliefs and Teachings."