February 20, 2006

"Follow the White Rabbit" (or "Why I Took the Red Pill")

Alice and the White RabbitThere's an article in the Arizona Republic today about Arizona State University's Memorial Union celebrating its 50th anniversary. Toward the end of the article is an amusing comment by Grady Gammage, Jr., who is the son of Grady Gammage (duh! ;) ), the President of ASU during the 1950s.

"I cannot tell you that I remember the day of the dedication because I was 3," Gammage said. "But I remember a lot about the Memorial Union early in its life."

Gammage, too, believes the union is more than a building; it is a monument to the collective memories of the campus. He recalled a year when the theme was "Alice in Wonderland."

"All of my friends and I got to dress up as the White Rabbit," Gammage said. "We wore these bunny suits with floppy ears. We were chased by coeds dressed as Alice. When you're in fourth grade, this was hot stuff."

No comments: