November 4, 2005

Xenophobia in Florida

So, I guess I should not be surprised. A city councilman up for re-election has made bigoted comments against his opponent, a Christian who was born in India.

Sherrill derided Abraham's accent at a political forum hosted and videotaped by the John Knox Village retirement community Oct. 12.

"I don't know what to rebut because I don't understand what he was saying, and I don't mean that facetiously, I really don't understand him," Sherrill, who wears a hearing aid, told the group of about 40 people.

He added that when Abraham speaks at city meetings, council members are "baffled" by what he says.


First, perhaps you should let the other council members speak for themselves; personally, I suspect that you're the only person "baffled" by your opponent's speech.

Secondly, if you can't understand what other people are saying (regardless of whether they're your political opponents, constituents or fellow council members), perhaps it's time for you to step aside in favor of those who can.



In a later interview with the Sentinel, Sherrill said that residents would not vote for Abraham if they saw and heard him.

"I'm usually not prejudiced, but I don't want an Indian in my government," Sherrill said. "As far as I know he could be a nice guy, but these kind of people get embedded over here. . . . You remember 9-11."


Incredible. That is the cheapest shot I've ever heard any politician make. You, sir, have sunk to the lowest low. Remember, his opponent is Christian, but that matters not one whit to Mr. Sherrill, who apprently equates foreign-born Americans to being potential terrorist cell members. (Hmmm, I wonder what he would think of Arnold Schwarzenegger? Foreign-born, thick accent, and he certainly knows how to handle a gun...)

In the meantime, the opponent is taking this situation in better stride than I might if I were in his shoes:


Abraham, who learned English at age 5 and taught the subject at a university in India, said he isn't angry about the remarks or the comparison to the terrorists who attacked the United States on Sept. 11, 2001.

"It is not a very intelligent comment," said Abraham, 60, a political newcomer. "That is just part of his personality that I cannot correct."


And the xenophobic bigot begins to show his true color - yellow

In a follow-up interview Friday, Sherrill backpedaled from his earlier remarks. Sherrill, 69, said they probably came out because he has been under stress from serving on several boards and taking care of his wife, who uses a wheelchair and an oxygen tank. "I'm a little bit bent out of shape," he said. "I think it might have been taken out of context, because I don't really feel that way."

Sherrill said he was just repeating what he has heard.


Coward! "Everyone else says this." Time for you, Mr. Sherrill, to retire, stay home and help your wife.

No comments: