September 25, 2005

Answering PseudoArab on Teaching Overseas

PseudoArab wrote: "...if you don't mind, would you be willing to share some information about this whole thing about some agency helping you get a job?"

Well, if you're hoping I can tell you the name of my agent or the agency, that will be impossible. I've forgotten the names of both, and the woman who was my agent left that company after I got to Korea (we happened to meet on the street one day and she told me). However, I can give you some other, basic information.

Many countries around the world require ESL (English as a Second Language) teachers to have either a TEFL or TESOL certificate in addition to a Bachelor's degree (usually in any subject). Korea is one of the few countries that doesn't (or didn't) require any additional certification, just the Bachelors. Even if you don't have a degree in Education or English, it will help if you know the English language fairly well (how to write well, being able to answer grammar questions, etc.). We Western teachers had a steady barrage of questions being asked of us, not only by the students, but even by our Korean colleagues. So the more you know about English (syntax, grammar, vocabulary, etc.), the better.

There are, of course, lots of pros and cons regarding teaching overseas. Most of the following information concerns Korea, but I may throw snippets in about teaching in Singapore as well.
* The pay in Korea was good. I averaged about 2.1 million won a month (pay was variable at my school, depending on the number of hours taught and whether any classes were special, higher pay classes, such as teaching Business English or Writing). The cost of living in Korea was low enough that I was able to save up several thousand dollars in that one year in addition to buying a very expensive 35mm SLR camera set. I saved far more money in Korea than I had ever been able to save up in the US. Other benefits at Korean schools included: a bonus equal to one month's average pay if you finished the entire 12 month contract, a one month vacation (but they only paid one week's worth of salary for that time), and free airfare to and from Korea (you may need to pay for the trip upfront, but they'll reimburse you). Some schools may also pay your rent; mine didn't, but they were very helpful in getting me set up in a nice apartment.
* The free airfare deal is quite handy. I worked with one guy from Ireland who travelled from country to country around the world with his wife and dog. That was how they got to see the world and make a living at the same time. Of course it also helps to have a sense of adventure. :)
* Other countries may not be as generous as the Koreans. Singapore pays decently, and the cost of living is roughly the same as Korea's, but the schools here don't pay either a 13th month bonus or airfare. I don't know if I would have saved as much money in Singapore as I did in Korea (in part because I got married fairly quickly after coming to Singapore). Chinese pay scales seem to be very cheap, although I believe they all provide housing.
* Don't forget that, wherever you teach, you may still have bills to pay in your local currency (e.g., the US dollar). I was able to arrange monthly wire transfers of money to my US bank account to pay local bills (like student loans and storage fees). You need to keep fairly up to date regarding all of your finances (not just local, but at home as well).
* Working in Korea was tough on women. Of course, virtually every expatriate who works there is not in a relationship. For some reason, women seemed to have a tougher time handling Korea than men did. Many blamed Korea's male-dominated society, but I'm not sure that's entirely true.

I've got more to write on this topic, but it will have to wait for now. In the meantime, a good place to start is Dave's ESL Cafe Job Board. Look around, see what's available, think about whether this type of life is what you want (not a clearcut question to answer), and if you have any other questions, by all means feel free to ask.

2 comments:

Jibonjatri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jibonjatri said...

Salam,
wow, you took all that time to write that! JazakAllah khair brother!