May 11, 2008

(The) Godfather Sunday

Another fantastic film, although I'm somewhat disappointed with my VCD copy of it at home (all the English translation subtitles that appear on the American version are missing; I'm going to have to upgrade to the DVD). What has surprised me since I read Mario Puzo's original novel is how this relatively thin novel had more than enough material to produce two major movies plus leave a few chapters out (those primarily dealing with the characters Johnny Fontane and Lucy Mancini, both of whom had more substantial roles in the novel). When it comes to The Godfather, I'm somewhat happy I don't live in the U.S. anymore: those weekends when the TV stations play The Godfather, I and II back to back, I always found it very difficult to pull myself away from the TV. :)



You don't understand. Johnny Fontane never gets that movie. That part is perfect for him, it'll make him a big star, and I'm gonna run him out of the business - and let me tell you why: Johnny Fontane ruined one of Woltz International's most valuable proteges. For three years we had her under contract - singing lessons, dancing lessons, acting lessons. I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. I was gonna make her a big star. And let me be even more frank, just to show you that I'm not a hard-hearted man, and that it's not all dollars and cents: She was beautiful; she was innocent. She was the greatest piece of ass I've ever had, and I've had it all over the world. And then Johnny Fontane comes along with his olive oil voice and guinea charm, and she runs off. She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous! And a man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous! Now you get the hell out of here. And you tell that gumba that if he wants to try any rough stuff that I ain't no band leader. Yeah, I heard that story.



(Note: "...[R]right before Mike turns to English, instead of saying: "do you want to play" in Sicilian, he's actually saying: "but i want that" or "ma voggiu ca" instead of "ma vu giucar". Notice that he says in English: "what i want".)

Leave the gun, take the canole.

No comments: