March 21, 2007

Update to "Hijabis of the World, Unite!"

Back in February 2006, I read a comment on Indigo Jo Blogs, written by a woman who had worn a hijab for a week to see how people would react. I reposted that comment on my blog as "Hijabis of the World, Unite!", which has gotten a large number of hits over the past year. Today, I heard from Heather Hopkins, who wrote that original comment and happened to find my blog with her post.

Heather is now a Muslim, alhamdulillah! I am very happy for her, and wish her the best of luck in her life journey as a Muslim. (And if you have any questions on Islam, Heather, please feel free to ask. :) )

How funny that I found this online so long after I wrote it, hahaha. I was searching something else and saw my name on there, very funny. I am glad that you enjoyed my piece of writing :O)

I wanted to do a follow-up on this because an interesting thing has happened to me since I wrote this piece...I have become Muslim myself. What started as a social experiment left me deeply interested in Islam. At first it was just because I found it to be fascinating, but after reading more and more about it, it all began to make sense to me, as though it were a truth I had known all along and was just waiting to discover the words for what was in my heart. Islam has made me feel complete. It has liberated me from the troubles of my past. And though some things have been tough since my conversion (or...reversion) (such as my family and friend's reactions....not as bad as I thought it would be, but still awkward), I have been better equipped to deal with these things because I can hold fast to my faith. Islam has changed my life for the better and I just want to share it with the world.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

Alhamdulillah! That's great to hear! Welcome, Heather, and insha'allah everything will be easy for you.

I came to Kuwait to work after the Gulf War, and I fasted Ramadan, just because I really liked the concept of one billion people around the world doing that together. Eventually, I also became curious and learned about Islam, and became Muslim. Masha'allah.

Let us know if you need anything.

HeatherHop said...

Mash'allah!
I haven't really been that good about checking back here on this blog, but I just wanted to let you all know that things are going well, and I'm preparing for my second Ramadan now. :O)
Thank you all for your support :O)

Chloe said...

I was recently in San Francisco (from my little tiny Central California town) and I found myself on an elevator with several woman dressed in Muslim burkas. They smelled so delicious! Like a field of fresh roses and carnations of my childhood. Would it be appropriate to ask them what they use? They smelled so simply refreshing, but I didn't want to be to busy body-ish, forward or impolite....but gosh! they smelled so sweet and fresh.
What would have been the polite thing to say, besides "WoW! you ladies smell so beautiful! What are you wearing?" Because, really...what they were wearing made me want to run out and buy some...it was that compelling. Fresh and child-like and clean...it smelled like the first day of the world.

JDsg said...

Chloe: Actually, what you wrote ("Wow...") I think would have been exactly the thing to say. :) Next time, you should speak up; I think they would have been pleased with the complement.