March 6, 2006

Drum Corps is Evil? Drum Corps is...uh...

In my last post, I briefly mentioned that I was in drum corps as a teenager (and then got involved again from 1998 through 2001). I also occasionally write articles for Drum Corps World (gotta get some more articles written soon). Milady, who hadn't heard of drum corps until she married me, has a very skeptical view toward the activity, although I have no idea why...we're all very sane and normal people, just like everyone else...

Renegades Baritone at Rehearsal

No, this is *not* me :) , although I do play the same instrument that this guy has in his hand (a baritone or, as a friend calls it, a "blaritone"). (Photo courtesy of Lee Rudnicki of the San Francisco Renegades.)

2 comments:

Barb Ess said...

Salaam;

No, drum corps is not evil, although, aaah...for people outside the marching world, I'm sure it all looks kinda strange -- musicians frantic over straight lines and snappy marching to popping quads.

But we are harmless. :) Really. :)

If you don't mind me asking, which one were you in?

JDsg said...

The "Drum Corps is Evil" thing comes from the San Francisco Renegades; that's their marketing slogan. They wear an all black "uniform" (black pants, trenchcoat and, of course, the obligatory sunglasses, even at night).

I'm not sure if you would have heard of any of my corps. In the 70s, back in the day, corps were rather numerous - there was one more or less every 20-30 miles in upstate NY, where I'm from. My first corps was a "feeder corps" named the Mark Twain Mini-Cadets (changed to the Mark Twain Pilots my second year), which provided basic music and marching instruction for young kids who wanted to join the main corps, the Mark Twain Cadets, with whom I marched for four years ('74-'77). The Cadets were a decent A class corps my first two years, but the corps declined dramatically the last two years and ultimately merged with another corps 60 miles away, the Grenadiers, who had also fallen on hard times. The two corps renamed itself the Empire State Express, and we were a rather good corps in '78 (my last year). That was a rather magical summer. We never did get to DCI that year (too far; in Denver), but I think that if we had, we prolly would have placed somewhere around 25th, which, considering the numbers and high quality of the corps in that era, would have been a very respectable placement.