January 4, 2006

"Jesus (pbuh) Would Lose the War on Terror"

I've just visited the Daily Kos for the first time, and I came across an article by "advisorjim," entitled "Jesus would lose the war on terror." Now this little excerpt just cracked me up. I hope no one is offended by this, but I thought the visual imagery created by this turn of phrase was just a hoot. In this excerpt, "advisorjim" is having a discussion about politics and the Bush administration with his father:

I don't know if this exchange had dad reeling a bit, or if he just wanted to change the subject, but either way he moved on to why he voted Republican. Republicans were the Christian candidates, to which I responded "Republicans don't have a monopoly on Christianity." "They're more Christian then Democrats," dad retorted a bit sardonically. Obviously he and I disagreed. I offered to support my position by saying that I was pretty sure how Jesus would feel about torture and the death penalty, and that I didn't think he was a fan. Dad replied that the War on Terror was different, and that the only way to win was to kill, maim, or torture whoever we had to to get the information we needed. "Arabs only respect one thing--strength. And we just have to kick the shit out of them, and torture them, and do whatever we have to do to get them to give up."

"Is that what Jesus would do?" I asked.

"Jesus would lose the war on terror," he replied.

Hence the title of this diary. Republicans are more Christian, but Jesus would lose the War on Terror. I was tempted to respond using that line from Major League ("Are you saying Jesus Christ couldn't hit a fastball!?), but I was a little dumbfounded by the statement. It was a very unpleasant look at the twisted, ugly innards of the soul of the Republican party. Suddenly I knew what it must be like to be Ann Coulter's gynecologist. All I could think to say was "Um...wow."

No comments: