June 1, 2008

Movie Sunday: Harvey Korman, RIP

I just read that Harvey Korman died Thursday, May 29th, due to complications from a rupture of an abdominal aortic aneurysm. Instead of doing our normal focus on one movie today, I thought I'd pay tribute to Korman by showing two clips of his work. Perhaps like many people, I remember Korman best for his work on The Carol Burnett Show and for his role as "Hedley Lamarr" in the Mel Brooks comedy, "Blazing Saddles." [Unfortunately, the quality of this first clip isn't terribly good, but I thought the material was funnier than some of the other clips available.]

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un.




Taggart: What do you want me to do, sir?

Hedley Lamarr: I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger in the west. Take this down.

[Taggart looks for a pen and paper while Hedley talks]

Hedley Lamarr: I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

Taggart: [finding pen and paper] Could you repeat that, sir?



Hedley Lamarr: Repeat after me: I...

Men: I...

Hedley Lamarr: ...your name...

Men: ...your name...

Hedley Lamarr: [to himself] Shmucks. [continues aloud] ... do pledge allegiance...

Men: ...do pledge allegiance...

Hedley Lamarr: ...to Hedley Lamarr...

Men: ...to Hedy Lamarr...

Hedley Lamarr: That's *Hedley!*

Men: That's Hedley.

No comments: