June 22, 2005

While we're talking about video games...

Last night, I had come across the article (posted below) from the NY Times about the teenager who plays video games 6 hours a day. This morning, I came across the following:

"After downing bottles of water and eating all the granola bars carried by a group of volunteer searchers, the boy asked to play a video game on one rescuer's cell phone, the sheriff said." (Source: Missing Scout Found Alive in Utah)

Now, let me first say that I'm really glad they found this boy alive and well. It just strikes me as odd that after satisfying his physiological needs (food and water), the kid needs to numb his mind with a video game afterwards. One wonders what drove this kid to survive for four days out in the wild. His video game addiction?

Are video games the new cigarettes?

No comments: