June 9, 2005

Fencers at the Athens Olympics



I like this photo. It's from a NY Times article (linked above) on photography, "Which Camera Does This Pro Use? It Depends on the Shot." This picture appeals to me for a couple reasons: the blur of the fencers (I learned the sport while in college, although I haven't fenced in ages), and the silhouettes of the background crowd with the solitary light shining in the corner.

The wife and I finally bought a new digital camera this past weekend (one of those semi-cheapy things that are small enough to slip into a pocket). I haven't really had the chance to play with it yet, although I'm curious to see how well it works. When I lived in Korea, the owner of a portrait studio where I got my film developed had suggested that perhaps I should buy a digital camera at the time; instead, I bought a Nikon 35mm SLR. I rather enjoy working with a film camera because I think they provide a superior resolution to most digitals (one of the reasons why I want to experiment with the digital, to test this theory), and I also enjoy shooting a film SLR manually (none of this autofocus crap for me). Of course, there are a lot of plusses for using a digital camera as well (most of which are stated on the second page of the linked article). But whether I can get "postcard-quality photos" out of the digital like I can with the film SLR is another question. Insha'allah, we'll find out soon enough.

No comments: