June 6, 2005

Getting an MBA

Tai, one of my students (see the link to the right), has posted a couple of interesting comments from others regarding getting an MBA. I thought I would repost my comment here that I made on his site:

"Generally speaking, I would agree with these comments. The MBA, though, is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it opens up a lot of doors, especially managerial positions that pay (of course) more money than lower-level positions. On the other hand, there may be times where the MBA can close off doors...fairly or unfairly. Some people might think you're overqualified for a position (and this might very well be the case). Other people, I've found, may be jealous that you've gotten an MBA when they haven't; they may feel insecure with an employee who has better academic credentials than they have and fear that the roles will quickly reverse - you will become their boss.

"But, on the whole, I truly believe that getting an MBA is important for those who wish to have a successful business career. It's almost a minimum requirement for those wishing to get into management (especially in larger corporations, like MNCs). So for those who are thinking of going on for an MBA, I highly recommend that they do so."

No comments: