August 2, 2008

Sweet Child O' Mine... Usually

Daddy decided that he'd take some photos of A'ishah today, seeing how it was Saturday and he hadn't taken any in a while. A'ishah turns one-half month old in less than an hour (i.e., she's 15 days, 11 hours old as I write this). As you can see, A'ishah's fully recovered from her jaundice.


The custom here in S'pore is to wrap babies tightly in a blanket while they sleep; it restricts their movements but keeps them warm, both of which may remind them of their time in the womb.


A'ishah has a very expressive face, and she'll smile every now and then. I happened to have the camera ready when this unexpected smile came forth. It certainly made Daddy happy to see it.


For the first two weeks, it's been very difficult to get pictures of A'ishah with her eyes open. After she woke up from the above nap, Daddy was able to get a bunch of pictures with A'ishah fully alert. This is one of the better photos. (Another is so clear, you can see yours truly reflected off of her eye.)


A'ishah was registered with the Singapore government a week ago, last Saturday. To give her her full, proper name, Daddy needed to get a legal alias, which is my Muslim name. So now my identification card has two names, plus the Jawi transliteration. Of course, I've been using my Muslim name as an informal alias for several years now; virtually all of Milady's family (except for Milady!) call me by my Muslim name. If I had needed to, I would have legally changed my name, but I'm glad that I didn't due to the amount of work that would have entailed (all my various legal documents, including my passport).

Unfortunately, A'ishah suffers from colic in the evening. When I left her a little over an hour ago, she wasn't the peaceful little angel she was in the above photos.

BTW, if you're a "friend" of mine on Facebook, all of the above photos plus two others not shown here (Daddy patting A'ishah's back) can be seen there as well.

6 comments:

JDsg said...

And don't you just love the smell of babies?!

I brought this up with Milady a little while ago. She wholeheartedly agrees with you, but I was like, what, babies smell? You mean like yesterday when A'ishah pooped while we were driving in the car and grandpa decided to roll down the window for a minute? ;)

ms mumbles said...

A'ishah is getting cuter n cuter and look at those cheeks!;)

Oh dear..I hope her colicky period gets over very soon..that's not a very...errm, fun thing to have...:)

JDsg said...

Yes, she is very cute (in my own biased opinion ;) ). I love holding her and am more than happy to feed her (although Milady has done all the work so far at the other end ;) ).

The colic, fortunately, hasn't been too bad so far (alhamdulillah). For about 21 hours a day, A'ishah's a good baby, but from about 10 pm through 1 am, that's not a good time for her. Otherwise, she's very sweet. I held her for about a half-hour this morning, and I couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable time.

Anonymous said...

A'ishah is a beautiful little girl :) Congrats to you on having her in the family. Btw, I'm a random blog reader online but I was wondering whether I could add you up on facebook?

JDsg said...

Jim: Thanks! Interesting winner for DCI this year.

Jasmine: Sure, go ahead.

izzymo said...

Hee-hee! She's so cute, JD. Keep taking these lovely pics.