August 26, 2008

Bedtime Music: Supertramp - The Logical Song

I haven't had much time to do any blogging in the past month due to the birth of A'ishah and then a thorough cleaning of the apartment before Milady and A'ishah returned home. As a result, my three regular series of posts (Bedtime Music, Drum Corps Saturday and Movie Sunday) went on a temporary hiatus. In fact, if you'll notice, the last Bedtime Music post was published on July 18th, which was the day A'ishah was born - I had set that up to be posted for that night, but haven't had the chance to prepare any more posts since then. Be that as it may, I hope to resume all three series now, and I start tonight by resuming with my series of music videos, the theme of which no one has still guessed.

This particular song,
The Logical Song by Supertramp, is a long-time personal favorite. Released in March 1979 on their #1 (US; #3 UK) album, Breakfast in America, I became really familiar with this song in the summer of '79 when I worked as a lifeguard at an outdoor public swimming pool and the staff played the radio on a loudspeaker system all day long. I rather enjoy the song now, though, for its political commentary, the contrast between "liberalism" (such as it's presented in the song) vs. "conservatism." Unfortunately, I've found Roger Hodgson's description of conservatism to be all too true.

No comments: