July 19, 2005

You Can't Be Muslim! You've Got Freckles!

A nice, but all too brief article: What it's like to wear a head covering in the Bluegrass. Some of the better quips:

"Strangers often ask where we're from, expecting 'Saudi Arabia' or 'Iraq.' The answer -- born and raised in Lexington -- usually surprises them. A saleswoman once complimented my language skills: 'Wow, you speak really good English.'"

...

"A sweet older gentleman was shocked when I answered 'I'm Muslim' after he asked why I cover my hair. 'You can't be Muslim, young lady. You've got freckles,' he said earnestly."


...

"Strangers often assume my hijab signifies that I will be a quiet, shy person. They're often surprised to discover otherwise. A college friend was initially shocked by my extroverted, quick-witted behavior. It quickly vanquished her stereotypes that Muslim women are submissive, she later told me."

No comments: