March 31, 2010

Sania Mirza Engaged

I hadn't written about the Indian tennis star, Sania Mirza, for over four years now, so when my stats counter started showing a big increase in the number of hits for my old posts about her, I knew something was up. ;) Sure enough, Sania has announced her engagement to Pakistani cricket player Shoaib Malik. I'm sure this will disappoint many of Sania's bachelor fans, but that's life. Find another girl, guys! ;)

Congratulations to the lucky couple, and may they have a long and successful marriage!

Even as the media portrayed the upcoming marriage between Sania Mirza and Shoaib Malik as a new chapter in Indo-Pak ties, Sania Mirza clarified that she is not here to make any political statement.

Sania termed her to decision to marry Shoaib Malik as a personal one and based on mutual consent. "My marriage has nothing to do with Indo-Pak politics. I am happy as it would be the dream of every girl to get a suitable groom one day", said Sania.

When asked about the enmity between India and Pakistan, Sania said, "This is a happy moment, you should not talk such things while taking sweets. Be happy that we are getting married. We both are happy. Our families are happy. I don't think we can ask for more".

Sania Mirza also made it clear that she will keep playing tennis, once she recovers from her injury. She also said that she and Shoaib will support each other in their respective game.

"Yes, we will settle in Dubai after marriage. But I will keep playing for India and he will Inshallah play for Pakistan", said Sania Mirza.

When asked whom he will support during an India-Pakistan cricket match, Sania said, "I will continue to support India, but I will also support my husband". She revealed that she met Shoaib Mailk six to seven years ago.

Sania Mirza's wedding reception is likely to be held in Hyderabad on April 15. A grand reception will be held in Lahore later.

HT: Breaking News Online

No comments: