July 16, 2008

Bedtime Music: The Police - Every Breath You Take

Sorry for the break in my Bedtime Music series; the big day is very quickly approaching, and Milady and I have been busy with preparations. The good news is that I'm over my illness.

Every Breath You Take, off of the 1983 release Synchronicity by The Police is one of those songs that have really dark lyrics set to a beautiful melody. (Eric Woolfson of The Alan Parsons Project wrote a number of songs over the years that fit this odd genre.) The theme of the song, of course, is about stalking another person. In the mid-'80s, I had a college roommate who had gotten out of a relationship with another person. This other person had left Every Breath You Take on a cassette tape for them to show their intentions. Creepy! I have no idea whether the other person went through with their threat.

No comments: